Public Participation in the management of the environment and natural resources
Greenwatch Uganda is an environmental rights advocacy Non-Government Organisation in Uganda with its secretariat in Kampala.
We promote public participation in the sustainable use, management and protectionRead More
World forestry day is celebrated worldwide annually on 21st March. This day commemorates the contribution and value of forests and forestry to the community. This year’s theme is "forests and water”. Focus is on raising awareness of how forests are key to the planet’s supply of freshwater, which is essential for life.
The seven oil companies that recently submitted bids for prospective oil blocks up for licensing in the Albertine Graben have shied away from the ecologically-sensitive Ngaji block in Lake Albert at Uganda-DR Congo border, according to officials.
This report is based on the findings of a two year national research undertaken by Greenwatch on access to information in Uganda as part of the Access to Information in Africa (ATI) Project. The research was premised on the notion that access to information is one of the most important fundamental rights and freedoms and is essential for good governance, participatory democracy and sound development.
Press & Highlights
Greenwatch receives Green Gold Award
4th, August 2015
Forests: Climate: Change
20th, March 2015
Enough talk; more action needed
6th, March 2015
Court Stops UWA from issuing pangolin licenses
5th, March 2015
Members of Parliament throw out Minister over kaveera ban delay
4th, March 2015
Pangolin scales dealer petitions over rights
3rd, March 2015
- The Right to Information as a Tool for/in Public Interest Litigation: An East African Perspective
- Access to Information in Africa Project Summary
- Handbook on Environmental Law Vol.II
- Court Ruling on the ban of Plastic bags in Uganda
- Access to Information in Africa Report: The case of Uganda
- A Community Based Guide for Monitoring Impacts of Oil and Gas Activities on the Environment
- Regional Symposium on Public Interest Environmental Litigation for Lawyers in EastAfrica
- Handbook on Environmental Law Vol.1
- Greenwatch Brochure